This Scholarship honours the legacy of Ed Coates, Co-founder, President, and CEO of Lordco Auto Parts, who passed away in February 2014.
Lordco Auto Parts and the Automotive Retailers Association (ARA), through the Automotive Retailers Foundation, created the Ed Coates Memorial Automotive Red Seal Scholarship, to be awarded to an eligible student who wishes to pursue post-secondary education leading to a career in the automotive industry. The unique structure of the award is intended to encourage and support the recipient throughout the apprenticeship process to become a ticketed technician.
Applications for this scholarship are now closed
The scholarship provides up to $5,000 towards tools or post-secondary education tuition leading to a career in the automotive industry and is awarded annually. The recipient receives $2,000 in the first year, and $1,000 for each of up to three additional years. The recipient has 6 years in which to qualify for, and receive the payments. Qualification requires the recipient to show proof of admission into a recognized automotive training program related to a Red Seal Automotive trade.
To be eligible, applicants must have completed a secondary school automotive, ACE-IT or Foundation program by the end of the current school year. We are looking for those who have demonstrated a flair for, and a genuine interest in pursuing a career in the automotive trades and plan to enroll in a Red Seal apprenticeship.
Children or dependents of ARFI board members are not eligible to apply.
Applicants are asked to provide the following:
- Applicants must provide a letter stating his/her long-term automotive goals. The applicant’s letter should briefly outline why they believe they should be considered for this scholarship. It may include a summary of past school and work experience.
- Applicants must provide a letter from the applicant’s primary automotive instructor or current automotive employer stating why the instructor feels the scholarship applicant is worthy of receiving the scholarship. This may include the applicant’s academic achievements, natural ability, hard work, professionalism, teamwork, attention to detail, initiative, etc.
- Applicants must provide a copy of the scholarship applicant’s most recent academic record. Overall academic achievements, as well as achievements specifically related to the automotive sector, should be included.
- Applicants must provide a brief outline of the scholarship applicant’s demonstrated leadership and civic abilities. These abilities do not necessarily have to be automotive related, but should be evident in the applicant’s interactions in their school or community environments. Examples of leadership and civic interests include, but are not limited to: acting as class president, working as a volunteer for a charitable or community group, and participating as a member of a service club.
- Applicants must provide an outline of financial considerations (as they relate to the student’s pursuit of their automotive studies). The scholarship applicant’s degree of need should be clearly demonstrated. Other scholarships or awards won by the applicant should be noted, as well as the applicant’s ability to continue his/her studies based on financial considerations.
The ARFI awards one Ed Coates Memorial Automotive Red Seal Scholarship annually, selected from eligible applicants. Eligible applicants are those who meet all of the criteria described above.
The recipient may be may be requested to participate in a brief interview that may be recorded and published. The recipient may also be invited to appear in a video acknowledging the award.
The recipient will be requested to provide a recent photograph for use in promotional material.
All applicants will be notified of the Selection Committee’s decisions. Awards are applicable to the academic year commencing in September of the year of application and awarding.
The administration of the scholarship program is carried out by the ARFI, under the direction of the ARFI Board Chair.
Application Requirements Checklist
You MUST have the following ready to submit with your application:
(See “Eligibility” above)
- A statement by the applicant outlining his/her long-term automotive goals. The application form includes a text box for this (250 words minimum).
- A copy of the scholarship applicant’s most recent academic record. This document is to be uploaded in PDF, JPG or Word format. The application form includes a file uploader for this.
- A brief outline of the scholarship applicant’s demonstrated leadership and civic abilities. The application form includes a text box for this.
- An outline of financial considerations as they relate to the student’s pursuit of their automotive studies. The application form includes a text box for this.
- A letter of support from the applicant’s primary automotive instructor or current automotive employer. This document is to be uploaded in PDF, JPG or Word format. The application form includes a file uploader for this.