Bob Clarke was a “car guy”. He spent his entire working life in practically every facet of the automobile industry. He had a gift of establishing long-lasting relationships, which was a valuable asset during his tenure as Executive Director of the Automotive Retailers Association.
Bob passed away in January 2012, and to honour his legacy, the ARA, through the Automotive Retailers Foundation, created the Bob Clarke Automotive Scholarship, to be awarded to an eligible student who wishes to pursue post-secondary education leading to a career in the automotive industry.
The scholarship provides up to $2,000 towards tools or post-secondary education tuition leading to a career in the automotive industry, and is awarded annually.
Application Deadline: June 30
Applications and all requested supporting documents must be received by June 30.
To be eligible, applicants must have completed a secondary school automotive, ACE-IT or Foundation program by the end of the current school year. We are looking for those who have demonstrated a flair for, and a genuine interest in pursuing a career in the automotive trades and plan to enroll in a Red Seal apprenticeship.
Children or dependents of ARFI board members are not eligible to apply.
Applicants are asked to provide the following:
- A statement by the applicant stating his/her long-term automotive goals. This should briefly outline why they believe they should be considered for this scholarship. It may include a summary of past school and work experience.
- A letter from the applicant’s primary automotive instructor or current automotive employer stating why the instructor feels the scholarship applicant is worthy of receiving the scholarship. This may include the applicant’s academic achievements, natural ability, hard work, professionalism, teamwork, attention to detail, initiative, etc.
- A copy of the scholarship applicant’s most recent academic record. Overall academic achievements, as well as achievements specifically related to the automotive sector, should be included.
- A brief outline of the applicant’s demonstrated leadership and civic abilities. These abilities do not necessarily have to be automotive related, but should be evident in the applicant’s interactions in their school or community environments. Examples of leadership and civic interests include, but are not limited to: acting as class president, working as a volunteer for a charitable or community group, and participating as a member of a service club.
- An outline of financial considerations (as they relate to the student’s pursuit of their automotive studies). The scholarship applicant’s degree of need should be clearly demonstrated. Other scholarships or awards won by the applicant should be noted, as well as the applicant’s ability to continue his/her studies based on financial considerations.
The ARFI awards one Bob Clarke Memorial Scholarship annually, selected from eligible applicants. Eligible applicants are those who meet all of the criteria described above.
The recipient may be may be requested to participate in a brief interview that may be recorded and published. The recipient may also be invited to appear in a video acknowledging the award.
The recipient will be requested to provide a recent photograph for use in promotional material.
All applicants will be notified of the Selection Committee’s decisions. Awards are applicable to the academic year commencing in September of the year of application and awarding.
The administration of the scholarship program is carried out by the ARFI, under the direction of the ARFI Board Chair.
Application Requirements Checklist
You MUST have the following ready to submit with your application:
(See “Eligibility” above)
- A statement by the applicant outlining his/her long-term automotive goals. The application form includes a text box for this (250 words minimum).
- A copy of the scholarship applicant’s most recent academic record. This document is to be uploaded in PDF, JPG or Word format. The application form includes a file uploader for this.
- Supporting letter from the applicant’s primary automotive instructor or current employer. This document is to be uploaded in PDF, JPG or Word format. The application form includes a file uploader for this.
- A brief outline of the scholarship applicant’s demonstrated leadership and civic abilities. The application form includes a text box for this.
- An outline of financial considerations as they relate to the student’s pursuit of their automotive studies. The application form includes a text box for this.
Ready to apply?
Once you have all of the material requested above ready, click this button to go to the application form